We are constantly being introduced to meals that grow our bodies physically, but not often do we find recipes to grow our mental structure. Using some of the top 15 brain food listed on Dr. Axe web-page we have a recipe you may find helpful:
Baked Salmon Pasta with Avocado Pesto
1 serving/ 941 cal
- Avocado 1 ct (23 grams of fat/ 250 cal) - Contains vitamin K and folate; which prevent blood clots in brain enhancing cognitive function and memory.
- Spinach (half bag 5oz/ 35 cal) -Slows mental deterioration. According to NPR, eating leafy greens each day tied to sharper memory.
- Lemon 1 ct (17 cal)
- Rosemary - Contains Carnosic acid that protects brain from neurodegeneration, helps fight against Alzheimer’s, stroke and aging. In addition, Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology discovered that the aroma from rosemary can enhance one's concentration and performance.
- Garlic (4 cloves/ 4 cal)- According to The Journal of Nutrition many benefits of garlic that was noted in the history including enhancing performance and work complicity has been proven by modern science
- Extra virgin Olive Oil (1/8 cup 239 cal) - Polyphernols (antioxidants) which improve learning and memory. Note that cooking with olive oil, the heat will break down the nutrient within.
- Salmon (3 ounce/ 150 cal without skin) - Omega-3 optimizing many facets of brain function, from depression, cognition and memory to mental health.
- Pasta (70g/ 246 cal)
Pesto and pasta (1 cup):
1. Boil the water for cooking pasta
2. Putting avocado, spinach, 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, 1/4 cup of cooked pasta water and salt and pepper to taste into a blender, blend until smooth
1. Chopped 1 cloves of garlic
2. Gently rub salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil over the salmon
3. Rosemary can be chopped and sprinkle over or set beneath salmon when baking
4. Set the salmon on a baking pan Preheat oven to 425 degrees for 12 minutes